The Epiconcept Project
As software developers, doctors, epidemiologists and data scientists, we contribute to the improvement of public health programmes by strengthening the understanding of diseases and by offering consulting services and software tools for public health professionals.
Since 1996, Epiconcept has been a company committed to the sustainable coexistence of scientific and technological innovation and human values (quality, ethics, responsibility and long-term involvement) in support of public health players.
In March 2017, Epiconcept launched the «» project based on :
- a mission: to contribute to improving public health programmes by increasing knowledge of diseases and by making technological tools and advice available to the various players,
- a very high-quality human group,
- values: quality, ethics, responsibility and long-term involvement,
- recognised expertise in epidemiology,
- recognised expertise in e-Health,
- a partnership approach with public health players in France and abroad.
- mobile technologies,
- creation of large databases,
- multicentre studies,
- big data,
- internet of things, etc.
- epidemiological studies,
- computerised management systems for public health programmes,
- and their combination to make a new offer combining information systems and data use.
- the dominant role of the individual,
- civil society involvement,
- lack of confidence in the health authorities.
To develop Epiconcept sustainably with the ambition of playing a preponderant role among public health players in France and abroad. The «» approach also guarantees respect for the individual and for scientific independence, maximum quality in our deliverables and a fulfilling and secure work environment for all employees.
Epiconcept and IQLS are now companies within the larger Epiconcept Group. The goal of the Epiconcept Group is to combine the strengths and complementary skills of companies committed to improving public health programs by strengthening knowledge and control of disease. The capacity for innovation and the talents brought together within Epiconcept Group provides the public health organisations with services and IT tools in the fields of epidemiology, laboratory science, e-health and data science.
Voozanoo, technical platform for theproject
Voozanoo is the application platform developed by Epiconcept on which all of Epiconcept's e-Health projects have been based for more than 15 years. Voozanoo makes it possible to pool developments for the different Epiconcept products that are based on it. Over time, Voozanoo has become a working methodology, a service offer and a data collection platform.
Epiconcept, host of personal health data
Epiconcept is certified by ASIP as a “personal health data host” for the Voozanoo platform. The technical requirements relating to security, risk analysis and the establishment of an ISSP (Information Systems Security Policy) for obtaining this accreditation are very similar to those for the ISO 27001 standard.
Epiconcept is a member of the French association of personal health data hosts: AFHADS
- 2018IQLS and Epiconcept join forces within Epiconcept Group
- 2017Epiconcept Group launched an initiative in the Indian Ocean by creating Epiconcept Indian Ocean in order to provide its services more widely by relying on local structures
- 2017Epiconcept launches its Smart Health strategy: epidemiology, e-Health solutions and the use of big data to support public health players in France and abroad
- 2014Epiconcept contributes to the response to the Ebola virus epidemic by making its team of epidemiologists available to the WHO in Guinea
- 2012Epiconcept hosts personal health data
- 2006Epiconcept creates an epidemiology department with 3 main activities: operational research, training and service activities
- 2002The first version of Voozanoo, Epiconcept’s technical platform, is launched
- 1996After several years in the scientific department of Doctors Without Borders, Gilles Desvé, Daniel Cauët, Valérie Nancey and Guillaume Jeannerod create Epiconcept with the aim of providing IT solutions to public health players
projectscarried out in support of public health actors
employeeswith experience and motivation
countrieswhere Epiconcept operates
health databasessecurely hosted
The management team
Marta ValencianoDirector of the Epidemiology Department
Thomas CzernichowDirector of Software and Services Department
Valérie NanceyAdministrative and Financial Director
Jamila Ait-BoujounouiDeputy Director of Administrative and Financial
Etienne SévinSoftware architect
Dalhia KhnafoProject Director
Franck SouryBusiness Development Director
Phase IV Studies
Use of big data
IT plateform for surveillance
Evaluation of surveillance systems
Alert and Response
Task force provision
Tools for coordinating the response
Management of victims of attacks
Assessment of pratices
Work Psychosocial Risks
Custom tracking plan
Computerised patient record
Practitioners Networks, second opinion
Training in Epidemiology
Solutions for international solidarity organisations
Human ressources management
Computerised patient record
EpiSignalDetection and EpiReport packages now available on the CRAN
Two new R packages were developed on behalf of the ECDC by Epiconcept epidemiologist Lore Merdrignac.
EpiSignalDetection includes a Shiny application aiming at exploring time series to detect possible outbreaks using infectious disease surveillance data at EU/EEA or country level.
EpiReport allows to draft a disease-specific epidemiological report similar to the Annual Epidemiological Reports published by the ECDC. Automated disease reports are produced in “Microsoft Word” format.
For further information, please have a look at package vignettes:
Influenza: Epiconcept to fund the I-MOVE hospital network during the 2018/19 season
Epiconcept is pleased to announce that it will fund the activities of the I-MOVE European hospital network during the 2018/19 influenza season.
Partners of I-MOVE European hospital network include:
An R-Map of the world
For more than 20 years, Epiconcept company has contributed to improving public health programs by providing software, secured cloud solutions for health data collections, epidemiological studies, counseling, evaluation and training in the fields of disease prevention, screening and treatment.
A strong believer in the virtue of open source programs, Epiconcept often develops solutions based on this model. A recent example is the creation of GADMTools by Epiconcept developer Jean-Pierre Decorps.
Health events are seldom distributed under a random scheme. Geography of Health and Epidemiology is key to analyze several types of factors: populations and territories, type of environment, spacial relations between individuals, etc. It is fundamental when it comes to understanding the complex relations and mechanisms that help spread a health event and can also play a part on a public policy level on two levels:
– to inform and monitor preventive and regulatory health policies;
– to control sanitary crisis and epidemics.
Several zooming effects are often necessary to provide an accurate scope of analyses. Over the past years, the strong development of Geographical information systems such as GADM (a spatial database of the world’s administrative boundaries, from countries to lower level subdivisions such as provinces, departments, cantons, etc.) have come in handy. The GADM database has a few export formats, including files formatted for the R programming language, allowing the easy creation of descriptive data plots that include geographical maps.
In 2017, Epiconcept developer Jean-Pierre Decorps elaborated a wrapper for GADM shapefiles. It provides Public Health specialists with a quick-and-easy solution to create personalized maps. Thanks to it, the GADM Database can be used to create choropleth, heatmaps, dots plot, proportional dots and more:
The solution has already been dowloaded more than 6000 times on the CRAN platform. Its users include the University of Twente – Faculty of Geo-Information Science and Earth Observation (ITC) – Geo-information Processing Department (GIP), The Netherlands.
For further information, do not hesitate to visit the cran.r-project page dedicated to the program : https://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/GADMTools/index.html
Let's stay connected
@EpiconceptTweets by @Epiconcept